MonaLisa Twins Homepage Forums MLT Club Forum MLT-FAQs Your photography

• Your photography

Posted by Jung Roe on 31/03/2021 at 00:28

Hi Mona and Lisa

Hope you’re both doing well.

A question for Lisa here. With your photography over the years, were there any particular well known or famous photographers, or family members or others you know that you took inspiration from for you own photography? Does your superb photography run in the family? Are there any photos you took over the years you are particularly proud of?

Have always been Impressed with your photos, especially the ones you took all over Hamburg last year. You are an awesome photographer too, indeed! Hard to believe a whole crazy year has passed since then!

When digital cameras started to come out in the early 2000s, I got into photography and filled up my hard drive with thousands of images, although some of it may have to do with fascination with digital cameras more than photographic skills. I am starting to enjoy doing that again and have renewed desire to get into artistic photographic composition. There was one book I bought that I still have and am reading again at the moment called “Photography and the Art of Seeing” by Freeman Patterson. It gets into what the photographer calls “Visual thinking” “to observe more accurately, develop your imagination, and to express a theme or subject more effectively with photographs”. A fun and informative read. The book was written in 1988 before digital photography so it is funny when he says not be stingy with film, and don’t hesitate to take a big 36 exposure roll of film and shoot them all off in a session to capture that special photographic expression and to learn. Nowadays with digital photography, you just have to worry about filling up your hard drive space with thousands of photos.

All the very best to you both!

Thanks
    Jung

Jung Roe replied 3 years, 5 months ago 5 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • Rudolf Wagner

Administrator
    31/03/2021 at 00:28

You just brightened my morning, Jung 🙂
    I’m so glad you like the photos we post. It is something that I really enjoy doing and that comes in handy for documenting our adventures and musical journey. But I’m certainly no expert!

Our whole family takes pictures and when we upload a bunch of photos, you can be sure that all 4 of us have taken some of them. So you really shouldn’t give me credit for all of them!
    I do like hogging the camera when we go out though 😉

I’ve gotten a lot more into photography in the last few years. There are so many talented photographers on Instagram and YouTube that inspire me but the first person that taught us more specifically about the “art” of photography was our step-grandpa (Michaela’s Dad) Franz, who is an amazing photographer. He has won some of the biggest photography competitions and has got image composition down to a T 😉
    When we were early teens, he put together a fun little “photography workshop” for just Mona and me. We ran around their house and garden for a weekend, looking for interesting subjects and compositions while he gave us tips and tricks and little challenges. I call him my photo buddy now and we like to send each other photos of our latest adventures over Skype.

As for educational/entertaining Photography related YouTube channels Peter McKinnon, Thomas Heaton, COOPH, Irene Rudnyk, and Mango Street come to mind. I will check out the book that you mentioned!

I love that you’re getting more into creative photography again! Due to the lack of leaving the house over the last few months I haven’t felt all too eager to pick up the camera recently but reading your message and writing this reply I feel quite inspired again. Maybe I’ll take the camera out for a walk today 🙂

Thanks for writing and for the kind words as always,
    Lisa

• Jung Roe

31/03/2021 at 07:17

Hi Lisa!

That must have been so fun taking pictures when you were little on that little photography workshop with your step Grand Pa Franz. He must have been thrilled to be able to do that and see what kind of wonderful and interesting photos you and Mona took. I remember on one of your album posts where you traveled with your grand parents you mentioned some of the pictures were taken by him and they were spectacular indeed. That must be so special to be able to share your photography experiences over skype with Franz, no better inspiration and passion than that.

Thanks very much for those youtube photography referrals, I really look forward to checking them out. BTW, Peter Draws channel is awesome! 🙂

I really can’t wait for the summer, hopefully with the vaccines and things getting safer again, I’d love to get out traveling again and hiking around in new places to take some more photos. I think I’ve captured images of every interesting tree, duck, and river scenes in my neighbourhood, and more moon shots than NASA! 🙂 When the flowers bloom soon I will find some more interesting shots to take. But I have been learning more about creating interesting shots even out of the most seemingly mundane scene by composing it creatively, so there is still much potential in my neighbourhood.

Please do share more of your photography adventures at the Club, really enjoy them.

Thanks so much for sharing your photography experience, loved reading it. 🙂
    Warmest and bestest wishes to you!
    Jung

• Jung Roe

02/04/2021 at 07:54

Ever since I upgraded from my old trusty Canon 12X to new a 60X zoom Lumix Camera very recently, the lens just blew my socks off. I always thought these kinds of shots required a tripod and long exposure, but these were taken hand held during one of my evening walks. The auto focus and low light capabilities sure have come a long way since I got my Canon in 2005.

Here is a partial full moon from a few nights ago, but I haven’t been able to find the full moon this time around. Love the details of those craters. Must be like Mt Everest.

If one of these days I capture an alien ship hovering around the moon, I will report back and post it here. 🙂

• David Herrick

02/04/2021 at 12:30

Agreed, Jung: it’s amazing what you can do now with a hand-held camera. But still, nice job on those!

When I was in college I had a cheap point-and-shoot camera. I wanted to get a roll of film developed, but I still had one exposure left, so I just pointed it at the Moon and hoped for the best. They didn’t charge me for that one.

Photographs of a full Moon usually aren’t vey eye-popping because the sunlight is hitting the surface along your line of sight, so there are no visible shadows and you lose the 3D effect.

• Jung Roe

02/04/2021 at 23:41

David I know what you mean, a quarter moon can be more interesting and brilliant with the shadows. I took this one a few weeks ago that I thought showed off the craters on the surface better than the fuller moon shots.

I use to have one of those flat compact instamatic film cameras that took those 110 cartridge films. It took me a few years sometimes before I got around to developing the film. My first camera when I was even younger came filled with candy, and after you finished eating all the candy, you could put film in it and take “real pictures”. It was a real camera too. I don’t think I ever got around to the picture taking part with it, was more interested in the candy. LOL.

• David Herrick

03/04/2021 at 00:25

Wow, you could talk me into buying just about anything if you told me that it came full of candy!

My very first camera:

https://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/5267872/il_fullxfull.151776523.jpg

• Jung Roe

03/04/2021 at 00:33

Now that’s getting into really serious vintage camera territory David! LOL. In those days I might have offered to trade you my candy container camera for that one.

• Roger Penn

02/04/2021 at 18:45

As an amateur photographer for years (I still use my own film darkroom), the Internet and digital photography is both a blessing and a curse. The blessings are obvious, but the curses include:
    1. We are bombarded with people who think that just because they can use a camera, they should, and just because they take a bunch of crappy pictures, they’re “photographers.” (I mean, yes, technically…)
    2. The number of brilliant photographers whose work is now more available and the sheer volume of amazing photos can make me feel despondent about my own work by comparison. Even my best work is now just another drop of water in a vast sea of great images.
    3. The need to be a good photographer and take great “negatives” has been replaced by having a talent for using Photoshop and faking it.

All the same can be said about my work as a poet.

Your photos, Lisa’s and the others, are breathtaking, imaginative, intimate, and inspirational. Damn good photography and it constantly blows me away.

I wonder, do you ever feel the same about your music as I do about the photography and poetry (specifically point #2 above). Does the proliferation of great music because of the Internet ever make you question your own abilities or that you can’t possibly be heard in such a sea of excellent material? You both seem so grounded, confident, and with healthy perspectives, but I wonder if sometimes those thoughts don’t creep in.

• Jung Roe

03/04/2021 at 00:14

In high school and college got to experience working in the dark room developing black and white photos. It was really cool running around the school taking images, and then watching them develop into images in the chemical bath in the dark room lit up in red light.

Some interesting perspective there Roger. To your point 1, I think the vast majority of us fall into that category, especially with the smart phones sporting ever more increasing megapixel (saw one of the latest phones with 100 Megapixel resolution now) micro CCDs and intelligent auto modes that takes care of everything, just point and shoot, but with puny lenses. I guess the few who develop a passion for taking interesting pictures might grow into a real photographer with a more real camera and learning the traditional concepts of photography and how aperture size, shutter speed, white balance, focal length, filters etc all interact with each other. Can you call a phone a real camera? I have to admit my new Lumix camera has a ton of intelligent auto features that can lure me to just rely on it to take acceptable photos, but it has a full gamut of manual capabilities which I am trying to learn to use, which ultimately makes it more fulfilling knowing you took a good photo because of your know how rather than the camera’s intelligent auto modes.

To point 3, with my very limited film photography experience, I can see where in the film days, you had to make each image count and really learn how to take a good picture.

But regardless of the technology though it seems “composing” an interesting and artistic shot is in the eye and imagination of the photographer.

• Bill Isenberg

10/04/2021 at 14:55

Lisa,
    I enjoy your photo’s as well and to me you catch the spirt of the picture and such a joy to see, as they say you stopped a moment in time when you snap a picture. to me your a pro!

• Jung Roe

14/04/2021 at 06:03

Been around the neighbourhood the other day looking for something interesting to capture, and came across this mundane looking bush. Anyone know what kind of plant this is? LOL 🙂 When you look really closely there is a lot of beauty in things that otherwise you would miss. People are like that in the crowds, but if you look closer, they are each so incredibly unique in their own beautiful world. Photography can capture that I think with the right perspective.

• Roger Penn

14/04/2021 at 19:51

Sorry Jung,
      I’m bad enough with trees, but shrubs?
      Thanks for the photos, though.

• Jung Roe

14/04/2021 at 06:08

Just some signs that spring has sprung.

• Jung Roe

23/04/2021 at 07:07

Discovering some beauty around the yard during this time of year.

The forum ‘MLT-FAQs’ is closed to new discussions and replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now

Let's stay in touch!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

+ Get 4 FREE songs!

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs! ♥

We’d love to keep you up to date on new releases, videos & more. If you sign up to our newsletter we will also send you 4 of our favourite songs!